Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sturgis Quickie!

I've never been to Sturgis nor had I planned on going at any point in the near future. Not that I don't want to go, but more that I'm usually too broke to afford how spendy it is there, let alone taking time off work. I'm honestly not a big fan of big bike rallies, not that there's anything wrong with them, it's just not my cup of tea. I bought my bike to ride it, not to spend days walking around a rally, to me that's an incredible waste of good riding time.

Monday night, Dan, one of my best friends called, which in itself was a little strange. Dan and I rarely ever call each other, we usually just show up at each others house once in a while, sit around, shoot the shit, maybe get a few miles in. Dan has an '02 Sporty 1200 Custom, but with a young family, riding time is scarce. Dan says, "My wife is going to Vegas with her mom, I'm not going, so I have a chance for a road trip. I've got an idea and I can't think of anyone else I'd rather have on the trip." Without thinking, I say, "Sure! I'm in. Where are we going?" He says, "Sturgis." He caught me off guard with that. He must've known it too, he says, "Dude, I'm just as broke as you, but this'll be cheap. We ride up, get an "I rode mine" patch, turn around and head home. $80 in gas and we'll strap a tent to the bikes and sleep wherever, we got 3 days, no missed time at work and a hell of a road trip." I say, "This is about a 1300 mile trip." He says, "Yup, it'll be awesome." All right. I'm in! Next Friday can't get here fast enough!!

No comments: